Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » EMPTYSPIRAL.NET » ES General

Post subject: Suggestion Thread
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:48 pm 
Lacunaz Initiate
Lacunaz Initiate

i dunno if there is a place already to suggest things but i didnt see one

if there is then you can just answer me then lock this

i Suggest that there be a delete post button, quite often i accidentally post something twice when the site hits a knot and freezes up and i click the submit button frantically

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:40 pm 
Lacunaz
Lacunaz

yep, i agree, a delete post button would be cool

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:26 pm 
Lacunaz Adept
Lacunaz Adept

Or you could just not hit the submit button frantically. All I do is click it once and let it do its thing. If it craps out, I'll just go back to that thread to see if my post showed up or not before I hit submit again. I don't think I've ever once double-posted here because of one of those screw-ups.

"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

EtherealRyknow wrote:
Or you could just not hit the submit button frantically. All I do is click it once and let it do its thing. If it craps out, I'll just go back to that thread to see if my post showed up or not before I hit submit again. I don't think I've ever once double-posted here because of one of those screw-ups.

I agree, though i have double posted. Its not a regular thing.

Thanks to Ashley for the s

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:14 am 
Lacunaz Initiate
Lacunaz Initiate

for me i always get an error after i post, then i refreash the page and it reposts when i refresh it so it is not all due to hitting the submit button frantically.

its just irritating not to be able to delete it, and the moderators clearly arent doing a very good job browsing the forums and fixing double posts (if they have that ability)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:34 am 
Forum Moderator

Location: I am Dutch and will remain so until further notice.
Minions_Engage wrote:
and the moderators clearly arent doing a very good job browsing the forums and fixing double posts (if they have that ability)

We do have the ability, but it is quite a hassle I tell ya!
I'm not 100% sure on this but I'm guessing that is also the reason why there is no delete button! (If you want to know for sure contact Matt)
It's not as easy as it looks believe me!
From my part usually I just don't bother removing them... Because like I said it's not as easy as it looks! Especially when someone has posted after the double post!

We mods are quite busy with the forums as it is!
And the double posts occur quite a lot now! If I want to fix every single one of them I'll have no time for a social life!
And I'm not willing to trade that in!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:13 am 
Lacunaz
Lacunaz

crimson_Regret wrote:
EtherealRyknow wrote:

I agree, though i have double posted. Its not a regular thing.

I agree, and if it takes a while, I press the 'Stop' button, then press 'Submit' again.
In fact, I think my first post was a double post :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:22 pm 
Lacunaz Adept
Lacunaz Adept

Minions_Engage wrote:
for me i always get an error after i post, then i refreash the page and it reposts when i refresh it so it is not all due to hitting the submit button frantically.

its just irritating not to be able to delete it, and the moderators clearly arent doing a very good job browsing the forums and fixing double posts (if they have that ability)

Please don't forget that the admin and all the moderators are volunteers and not employed to maintain this site. there are a lot of double posts on the forums becuase of a server problem. It is not a coding or admin problem. And Matt is doing his best to sort it out as quickly as possible. (please see 500 errors thread for more info.
:D

"YOU CAN'T SEE ME"

Fixin' to misbehave!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:56 pm 

The reason why the double posts haven't been getting removed is because of the server problem. There are so many double posts because of the error (which by the way still posts your post) and when people see the error they go back and resubmit. Its pretty pointless for us right now to constantly delete double posts. The second we delete them more will pop up due to the debug error that pops up.

on that note heres my opinion: I don't think there should be a delete post button for users. If there is a post that should be deleted people can pm a mod/admin or jump in the es chat and let a mod/admin know about it so we can delete it. Several of us have aim/msn/yim. You could send us a message that way to get it taken care of. Several people come to me about double posts for me to remove. I don't think its a good idea for users because they can post things that would break the rules then delete it before we can see it. So i don't think its a good idea. Just pm/email/im/ or pop in the es chat and we can get it taken care of. All of the mods/adim have jobs or are in school so we can't be here 24/7. There is always a mod around. If you click on the Forums link and look at the bottom of the screen it will tell you what members are currently on the forum. The mods names are in green and matts is in orange. I'm always in the chat even when i'm not around and i'm always checking my private messages.

Perhaps you should have tried to contact us about deleting your double post before you made a thread saying that we aren't doing a good job. I for one read EVERY single post and EVERY single thread.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Location: I am Dutch and will remain so until further notice.
HopeForDeath wrote:
I for one read EVERY single post and EVERY single thread.

You are not the only one Candace!

HopeForDeath wrote:
Perhaps you should have tried to contact us about deleting your double post before you made a thread saying that we aren't doing a good job.

Indeed...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:30 pm 
Coiler
Coiler

You can edit your posts, though. If you double post, just edit one out. Problem solved.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Firstly apologies for the doublepost thing. That does indeed come from the problems with the server at the moment. Rest assured that I'm not twiddling my thumbs over this issue.

The reason that not everyone can can delete posts is simply to stop entire threads from disappearing without moderator control. If you delete the FIRST post in a thread EVERY reply disappears as well. Additionally there is no way to give someone the ability to delete their replies but not their initial post (ie the post that started the thread).

Hope that makes sense! :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:20 pm 
Lacunaz Adept
Lacunaz Adept

matt wrote:
The reason that not everyone can can delete posts is simply to stop entire threads from disappearing without moderator control. If you delete the FIRST post in a thread EVERY reply disappears as well. Additionally there is no way to give someone the ability to delete their replies but not their initial post (ie the post that started the thread).

Another forum I go to (yes, I go to another forum, I'm sorry, I know I'm an awful person) gives a user the option of deleting their last post, but only if no one's posted after it. That forum's based on the same layout and everything as this one, though, so is it really that tough a thing to implement? Just curious.

I'm not bitching, by the way. I think everything's fine the way it is. :)

"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:47 pm 
Lacunaz Initiate
Lacunaz Initiate

oh i apologize to all the moderators, I intended in no way for that to be insulting. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

EtherealRyknow wrote:
matt wrote:

Another forum I go to (yes, I go to another forum, I'm sorry, I know I'm an awful person) gives a user the option of deleting their last post, but only if no one's posted after it. That forum's based on the same layout and everything as this one, though, so is it really that tough a thing to implement? Just curious.

I'm not bitching, by the way. I think everything's fine the way it is. :)

I'll do some testing when I get a chance and let you know :)

Board index » EMPTYSPIRAL.NET » ES General